Tuesday 10 February 2015

'uppar-nitche, aage-peetche'

up-down, front-back/ahead-behind

Another week. Delhi feels simultaneously close to 'home' as I, the globe nomad, could feel and also indisputably strange like planet Mars. The foundation for the remarkably easy parts of the transition back to madland is the wealth of relationships I have here. Funnily, I didn't realize how many great friends I have or how many interesting people also want to get to know me. I've started crossing paths with friends or acquaintances, which gives Delhi a 'homey, small-town' feeling that I'm enjoying before it gets too nosy. (Hindi tangent ... one of my favorite nicknames is 'nakoo', 'little nosey one'.. definitely good dog name.)

And Delhi is happening! Yes. I mean it, its actually a pretty chill place to be. Within one week, I went to an acro-yoga class, saw a contemporary dance recital on sexuality, watched a play, climbed up boulders in a forest reserve, attended a design festival, went night jogging through terrain laden with ancient monuments, and probably a few other things. This is all on top of going out to the Sewing New Futures center in Najafgarh and working freelance.

That being said - India is, unsurprisingly, blowing my mind. Not only in a good way.

Today I spent some time with a little girl, about 14 years old who was terribly beaten the night before for spilling some milk. Roshini's* (light) left eye was a blistering, taught black-and-blue ball, and her entire arm down to her hand was swollen to the extent that her bones are most likely fractured, if - that is - nothing is broken. Roshini greeted me with a smile and apologized for not being able to work well today because she couldn't hold a needle and thread.

When someone stands before you in this state, you at once see the person, and then its as if a haunted memory clouds your eyes. I suddenly imagined the actual scene of violent abuse that would have needed to take place in order for this little girl to become so badly wounded. We talked. Her father beats her, her husband beats her - yes, she is married and 14 years old - and her brothers sometimes hit her too. Mom? She left on account of the fact that 'Vo bhi mar khathee thee' .. she also used to 'eat beatings'.

The other night I had a horrendous dream, and all though it preceded this event, in many ways it foreshadowed the crux of this story. The main challenge I faced in the dream was coming against violence that at this point, in this capacity, I can do nothing about. What should we have done in this situation? Go to Roshini's house and explain kindly to her abusive family that they just simply cannot beat her if she takes 2 minutes extra to fetch something from the market? Should we go to the police who may do any number of useless or detrimental things (i.e. beat-up Roshini's dad who might then really assault her, or the police may ask for bribes to do nothing).

In any case, the light from this experience is truly feeling that SNF's work is purposeful. The scale is impactful. And the determination of the girls and women involved is inspiring. Tomorrow, I will make the two-hour journey back to the urban village on the outskirts of Delhi. I'll begin supporting the field staff to carry out monitoring and evaluation work and constructive, ownership-focused quality control.

Taking a sweet breath of appreciation for life, for my life, and potential,
I say, 'acche sapno dekho, sab log'.

sweet dreams, everybody.


*name has been changed

1 comment: