Tuesday 17 February 2015

Fire & Earth

Astrology in India is a pretty big deal. It informs marriages, is the connected to major holidays, and guides people in their understanding of themselves. India doesn't stand alone in its import of astrological derivations, many ancient cultures including those from the Far East and South America have deeply rooted beliefs and and well-articulated sciences related to astrology.

I have been reflecting on my own astrological signs a lot lately, mostly out of curiosity to see if there are in-fact parallels between our signs and ourselves, and also to understand other friend's self-perception/definition. Being born on 24th August apparently has me neatly situated between two, quite polar signs: leo-virgo; lion-virgin; outspoken/deeply internal; spontaneous/meticulous. The list goes on.

Part of one's astrological sign is a reflection and resonance with particular elements of nature. For Leo, it's fire, and for virgo, its earth. Lately, I am in-love with the artist/comic/illustrator, Yumi Sakugawa. Here are two of her illustrations: fire sign and earth sign. In earth sign, she beautifully captures the pace of growth and learning, the connection between humans and the environment, and the truth in trusting our feet.

In fire, Yumi highlights the exact opposite quality of change - seemingly instantaneous, irreversible transformation. Her words 'i don't want to forget the difference between solidity and air' situate the human experience within a scorching, blink-of-an-eye moment. To me it speaks to retrospect and makes me look back on the different phases of my life: infancy, childhood, teen years, young adult, and almost-a-real person (my current phase). Yumi just depicts these as physical phases: solid & vapor.





 These illustrations draw out some lessons, thoughts and feelings that are rolling around my mind&heart these days.  With a new moon coming, I feel clarity is on the way. 

I guess India has successfully converted me.


























please see more of Yumi's work, 
on her website, and lots here.

1 comment:

  1. Insightful self-reflection! Interesting to embody such contradictions. Yumi Sakugawa's art resonates with me too -- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete